Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: The Bandhavgarh National Park in Madhya Pradesh is widely celebrated for the highest density of tigers – approximately 50 tigers in just 38 sq. mi. This park had several (now rare) white tigers and a host of other exotic beauties such as sambar, chital, wild boar, wild dog, Indian fox, leopard, bison, blue bull, antelope, nilgai, and so on among others.
Tiger Safari in India - A Traveler’s Guide 2023
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023. Most of you would agree that 2020 didn’t have many opportunities for outdoor travels, and trips given the grim situation of COVID-19. The pandemic took the world by storm and travel was a big NO for more than a year with all the restrictions, safety concerns and closed borders.
Well, 2023 looks promising in those aspects and we’re finally opening up the country to travel again. Yes, good news for nature, and wildlife enthusiasts out there! Tiger safaris in India are now open for the eager beavers. However, with pandemics still looming large, traveling comes with a strict set of do’s and don’ts as part of the COVID protocol.
We have taken our time in penning down a quick, and concise guide for you to experience a spectacular tiger safari in India!
When can I see Tigers in India?
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: To offer you a background, India with close to 50 tiger reserves and a plethora of wildlife sanctuaries, is home to approximately 70% of the global tiger population. And, thanks to the tiger protection and conservation measures that started in the 1970s, India’s wild tiger population is on the rise contrary to the stats for other global nations. In India, Madhya Pradesh is known to have the maximum number of tigers slated to be 526, which is followed by Karnataka, and Uttarakhand.
India is definitely your best bet if you are vying to catch a glimpse of the national animal in all its glory in its territory exuding its power, and authority. Well, the next question you might have is when to see tigers or what is the best time to schedule a tiger safari in India.
Best Places to See Tigers in India
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: India is widely celebrated for its natural, exotic beauty, rich cultural heritage, abundant flora, and fauna. When it comes to the tiger population and reserves, India is no exception there as well! From Rajasthan to Karnataka to Madhya Pradesh to Bengal, and Assam from the North-eastern corridor are some of the ideal places to plan a tiger safari of your dreams.
Here are some of the best places to see tigers in India.
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: Here are some important aspects you should be aware of while planning a tiger safari in India. First and foremost, tiger safaris do not always mean guaranteed sightings of tigers. It just could turn out that all your waiting around, and efforts may end up in vain. It is always good to have a naturalist as a guide for such trips.
A tiger safari in India may mean waking up at the crack of dawn, taking a jeep or a medium-sized tourist bus, and waiting in silence to get nature’s clues. You might have to listen to the birds chirping, and other movements to be certain about the tigers’ location. If you are planning a mid-day trip, you might have to contest the scorching summer heat depending on the time, and location of your trip.
Here are some top-notch locations for planning your next tiger safaris in India.
1. Tiger Safaris in Ranthambore
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: Ranthambore national park is one of the busiest tiger sighting locations, and rightfully so. Located in the Sawai Madhopur district of southeastern Rajasthan, which is about 80 miles from Jaipur, this park covers an area of 151 square miles in the vicinity of the Aravali range and the Vindhya plateau.
This tiger reserve in the heart of Rajasthan is enthralling with rolling hills, shimmering lakes, and a diversity of landscapes from cliffs to lush greenery. At this wildlife reserve, the tigers are diurnal, which means they are active during the day — making it easier for you to spot one than in other parks. This is open from October to June; however, the tiger safari timings may change without advance notice. So, do plan your trip accordingly.
Ranthambore vs other tiger reserves
1. Historic Fort and Ancient Ruins: Ranthambore is home to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Ranthambore Fort, which dates back to the 10th century. The presence of the fort lends a unique historical and architectural element to the safari experience. It provides stunning views of the park and is an ideal vantage point for observing wildlife.
2. The park’s diverse landscapes, that include grasslands, dry deciduous forests, and hills, provide a breathtaking setting for tiger excursions. The picturesque landscape enhances the overall experience and provides visitors with unforgettable moments in the wild.
3. T-24 (Ustad): Ranthambore is renowned for its legendary tigers, and T-24, also known as Ustad, was one of the most renowned. In the park, he was a dominant male tiger with a notable presence. While Ustad passed away in 2019, his legacy remains an integral part of the conservation history of tigers in Ranthambore.
4. Ranthambore has been really effective in maintaining a healthy population of tigers in comparison to other Indian tiger reserves and national parks. This indicates that visitors have a high chance of spotting these magnificent bengal tigers during safaris.
5. Opportunities for photographers: Ranthambore’s landscape and relatively tame lions provide excellent opportunities for photographing wildlife. Photographers can capture breathtaking images of tigers and other wildlife in a variety of terrains and lighting conditions within the park’s various zones.
Hotels & Resorts Near Ranthambore National Park
Sujan Sher Bagh
W.H. Mount Valley Resort
Sultan Bagh Jungle Camp
The Tigress Resort & Spa
Tiger Den Ranthambore
Tree of Life Kipling Lodge
How to reach Ranthambore National Park
Ranthambore National Park is one of the most accessible national parks for a tiger safari tour. You can reach the park in one of three ways:
2. Tiger Safaris in Kanha
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: At 50 square miles in the core zone and 389 square miles including the buffer zone, Kanha is regarded as one of the largest parks in Central India for sighting tigers. Being established in 1933, this became one of India’s original nine Project Tiger Reserves with wildlife in abundance. Besides, it is home to the rare and magnificent Barasingha hard-ground swamp deer and several legendary tigers such as Munna, T-17, the erstwhile King of Kanha.
Kanha vs other tiger reserves
1. Kanha Tiger Reserve is renowned for its spectacular landscapes, which include dense sal and bamboo forests, open grasslands, and meandering streams. This varied terrain provides a picturesque backdrop for tiger excursions, making the experience more aesthetically pleasing than other tiger reserves with more monotonous landscapes.
2. Kanha Tiger Reserve is an example of wildlife conservation efforts that have been effective. It played a significant influence in the recovery of the rare Barasingha population, also known as the swamp deer. The park’s conservation efforts have resulted in a considerable increase in the Barasingha population over the years, making it a distinctive feature of the park.
3. In addition to tigers, Kanha National Park is home to a vast array of wildlife species, such as leopards, wild dogs, sloth bears, and numerous avian species. The park’s biodiversity and the opportunity to encounter additional wildlife during excursions enhance the safari experience overall.
4. With designated zones and trained guides, Kanha’s safari system is well-organized by the management. The park authorities are frequently lauded for their efforts to manage and regulate tourism, ensuring that the welfare of the wildlife remains a top priority.
5. In certain zones, in addition to traditional jeep safaris, Kanha Tiger Reserve offers distinct adventures such as walking safaris. While walking safaris allow them to observe the park’s flora and fauna up close under the guidance of knowledgeable naturalists.
Hotels & Resorts Near Kanha National Park
There are a good number of lodging options available around Kanha National Park. You can choose between a luxury resort experience or a comfortable and homely hotel stay. Here are our top picks:
Taj Banjaar Tola
Singinawa Jungle Lodge
Chitvan Jungle Lodge
Kanha Jungle Camp
How to reach Kanha National Park
3. Tiger Safaris in Pench
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: Pench, the beautiful national park that straddles the border of Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra, is widely celebrated as a tiger reserve in India that inspired The Jungle Book.
Pench vs other tiger reserves
1. Pench National Park is thought to have served as the basis for Rudyard Kipling’s iconic book “The Jungle Book,” which was published in 1927. The park is evocative of the enchanted environment described in the book due to its beautiful landscapes, varied flora and wildlife, and the presence of iconic animals like tigers and leopards.
2. Teak woods and River System: Teak woods, which provide a special home for a variety of animal species, are what make Pench distinctive. The Pench River, which flows through the centre of the park and provides a crucial water source for the animals, particularly during the dry season, gave the area its name. The beautiful surroundings and plentiful water sources improve the safari experience.
3. Pench National Park is ideally positioned close to Nagpur, making it accessible to visitors and wildlife enthusiasts. Due to the reduced travel time and increased time spent in the park, tourists have a greater opportunity of seeing tigers and other animals.
4. Two States Border It: Because Pench National Park is located on the border between Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra, visitors have the opportunity to see wildlife in both states. The scenery and animal viewing chances vary on either side of the park, adding variety and richness to the entire experience.
5. Rich Biodiversity: Pench has a diversified ecology that is home to a wide range of plants and wildlife. The park also supports leopards, Indian bison (gaur), wild dogs (dholes), several deer species, and more than 300 different bird species in addition to the famous Bengal tigers. Visitors get many opportunity to see a variety of species throughout their safaris because to this richness.
Hotels & Resorts Near Pench National Park
There are a good number of lodging options available around Pench National Park. You can choose between a luxury resort experience or a comfortable and homely hotel stay. Here are our top picks:
Vannraj Resort & Spa
Pench Jungle Camp
How to reach Pench National Park
Pench National Park is extremely well-preserved, making it quite a journey to get there. But your efforts to reach the park will be well rewarded with engaging tiger safari tours in India. Here’s how you can reach Pench:
4. Tiger Safaris in Bandhavgarh
Bandhavgarh vs other tiger reserves
1. High Tiger Density: Bandhavgarh National Park & Tiger Reserve is a popular place to see tigers as it has one of the greatest tiger densities in all of India. The likelihood of seeing these majestic species while on safari rises due to the park’s big population of tigers and an abundance of prey.
2. Bandhavgarh Fort, a significant historical and cultural landmark, is located in the park. The fort, which is perched on a hill and provides breathtaking panoramic views of the surroundings, adds a special dimension to the safari experience by fusing wildlife encounters with a dash of history.
3. A diversified scenery, including lush forests, meadows, rocky hills, and flowing streams, can be seen at Bandhavgarh. In addition to enhancing the park’s natural beauty, this terrain’s diversity offers many habitats for animals, which boosts the area’s biodiversity overall.
4. Rich Biodiversity: Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve is home to a diverse mix of flora and animals in addition to an exceptional tiger population. The park is a haven for wildlife enthusiasts and those who enjoy the outdoors because it is home to several kinds of mammals, birds, reptiles, and butterflies.
5. Lesser Crowd: Bandhavgarh draws fewer visitors than some other well-known tiger reserves in India. Visitors frequently enjoy a more private and tranquil safari as a result, with less vehicle traffic and a greater likelihood of experiencing undisturbed animal encounters.
Hotels & Resorts Near Bandhavgarh National Park
There are a good number of lodging options available around Bandhavgarh National Park. You can choose between a luxury resort experience or a comfortable and homely hotel stay. Here are our top picks:
Taj Mahua Kothi
Tree House Hideaway
Tiger Den Resort
How to reach Bandhavgarh National Park
5. Tiger Safaris in Tadoba
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: Tadoba National Park is one of the few in India that is open to tourism throughout the year. The dry deciduous forest in the park allows for more visibility of wildlife. Today, the park is brimming with a healthy tiger population.
Tadoba vs other tiger reserves
1. High Tiger Density: Compared to other reserves, Tadoba is known for having an impressive tiger population density, which means visitors have a greater possibility of seeing tigers while on safari there. This high tiger density is a result of the park’s modest size and active conservation efforts.
2. Tadoba is located in Maharashtra’s Chandrapur district and is home to a variety of landscapes, including deep woods, meadows, and numerous water bodies. This diverse topography supports a great biodiversity, making it a perfect habitat for a variety of other flora and fauna species in addition to tigers.
3. Excellent Tourist Infrastructure: Tadoba has excellent tourist infrastructure, including cosy lodgings and expertly planned safari arrangements. This makes it simpler for guests to organise their travel and have a convenient, hassle-free time experiencing the animals.
4. Unlike some other tiger reserves, Tadoba is separated into various zones, each of which offers a unique opportunity to watch animals. These places are purposefully created to spread out visitor traffic, lessen strain on particular locations, and improve the overall safari experience.
5. Less congested: Despite Tadoba’s recent growth in popularity, it is still less crowded than other of the more well-known tiger reserves, such as Ranthambore and Bandhavgarh. As a result, visitors may experience animals up close and personally without being distracted by vast throngs of other tourists.
Hotels & Resorts Near Tadoba National Park
There are a good number of lodging options available around Tadoba National Park. You can choose between a luxury resort experience or a comfortable and homely hotel stay. Here are our top picks:
Svasara Jungle Camp
Red Earth Tadoba
How to reach Tadoba National Park
Things to carry during tiger safari in India
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 2023: Temperatures may vary from chilly mornings to scorching afternoons, so layered clothes are your best bet for a comfortable tiger safari trip. Opt for neutral, earth tones and avoid bright colours or white as they tend to bother the animals.
How to plan & book your tiger safari in India?
Tiger Safari in India – A Traveler’s Guide 202: Given the wide-scale demand, and popularity of tiger safaris in India, you need to plan your safari itinerary and accommodation well in advance for at least 3 to 4 months. Most tiger reserves and national parks in India have daily quotas of visitors. So, pay attention to this; otherwise, your trip might just turn out to be a dud.
Your best bet is to go for a reliable and reputed Tiger safari tour operator in India such as Tiger Safari India. The benefit is that since these tours are curated by top naturalists, you can be ensured of the best possible experience in a way that leaves behind a minimal footprint in these pristine locations.
Please fill the form below and our team will get back to you within 24 hours with a perfect tiger safari tour package.