Tiger Population In India
Through The Years
Tiger Census 2018 or The Tiger Counting of 2018 in India
How is the Tiger Census Carried out in India?
• Double Sampling Method is utilized:
– A First Sample is collected by the Forest Guards at respective Tiger Reserves following the methodology dictated by the NTCA(National Tiger Conservation Authority) and WII(Wildlife Institute of India)
– The Second Sample is collected by the Biologists from WII.
04 phases of Tiger Census in India
• Carnivore Signs Survey: Tigers have a home range, and within these, they take utilized and trusted ways to manoeuvre through the forest. 15 km of the path is traversed each day by the forest guards. These paths are strategically selected on the basis of known tracks and signs as well as previous observations.
• Herbivore, Vegetation and Human Disturbance Survey: The Line-transect system is utilized wherein a straight-line path of 2 km is marked, herbivores which are observed during the walk are recorded. This is done for 03 days each morning on the same trail.
A GPS device, compass and range finder is used during this census.
• Pellet (herbivore droppings) density, vegetation data and human disturbance(if any) is also recorded near the transect line.
This gives an estimate of the density of prey and vegetation cover in the territory of a particular Tiger or overlapping areas of Tigers.
Data is collected and collated by the NTCA from various organizations, and the characterization of the landscape of the territory of the Tiger is derived from it. This data is procured from organizations such as :
– SEDAC(Socioeconomic Data and Applications Centre) – Human Footprints
– FSI(Forest Survey of India) – Forest Maps of India
More on The Royal Bengal Tiger
Please fill the form below and our team will get back to you within 24 hours with a perfect tiger safari tour package.